>We have 519's like a rash when backing up over a mixed 10/100
>network using 3Com SuperStack 10/100 autoswitching hubs. Backup
>server is a beige G3 266 tower with a DDS-2 DAT drive.
>
>519's are the order of the day with the one G4 machione. It has work
>files on an external 12 Gb FireWire drive and I think we've only
>once had an error-free backup. Changing to AppleTalk did not help in
>any way.
>
>Some days most machines (20+) give a 519 which makes me think
>network or backup server.
>
>I am going to test a Cisco Catalyst Switch (with Spanning Tree
>turned off) and see what happens.

This is a problem i have been fighting for 6 months now. Exactly the
same symptoms on a blue and white G3. I have found a workaround, if
you turn on link encryption the backups work 100% reliably, but i
still can't interrogate remote clients or upgrade clients remotely.

these problems started when we installed a hp procurve 2424m  as our
central switch...

good luck
--

Lindsay Robertson