Good question, Todd.

Basically, Retrospect's SimpleCrypt encryption method is faster than DES,
but the tradeoff for speed yields a less robust encryption scheme.
Conceivably, it would take less time to decipher data that had been encoded
with SimpleCrypt than with DES (or some other strong encryption method).

Encryption should never be relied on as the sole means of keeping your data
from unwanted access. It should always be used in conjunction with physical
security measures. Any data important enough to worry about someone cracking
its encryption method is important enough to restrict access to.

One benefit of backing up computer data to compact, removable media is that
it is relatively easy to collect and store in a secure location. Don't
dismiss this advantage.

I hope this helps.

Eric Ullman
Dantz Development