#1. Turn off sending HTML email. It sucks.

#2. I would say that both DES and SimpleCrypt can be broken in less than 24
hours. Don't assume that some methodology that Dantz came up (when did they
get into the encryption business?) with is unbreakable in anything more than
that. I would guess that SimpleCrypt is just some weak XOR or something.

Also, security through obscurity is a terrible thing.

The right thing to do here is to have pluggable security. End of story.

-jon