I use a Mac to backup a Dell PIII to a DAT drive. (This was an
evolution, not a new setup.) Yesterday I realized that the backup wasn't
working because the name of the PC had changed from "Dell PIII
Accounting" to "111ES" about a week ago.

Any ideas as to what could have done this? And the odds of intentional
action by the direct staff are quite low. The machine is on the internet
via an ADSL line through IPNR on a 7100. No ports are mapped to the
Dell. And email isn't used on the Dell. Only surfing.

So are there any reasonable accidental ways this could have happened.
Could it be a virus picked up via surfing?

TIA