On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 05:16:08PM +0100, John Horne wrote:
Hmmm... Funny - got your reply but my original mail never showed up at my
end...

> On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 15:57 +0100, Arthur Dent wrote:
> >
> I'm assuming you are running something like 'rkhunter --versioncheck' on
> its own in cron? In the cronjob, run RKH with the '--nocolors' option.
> The funny characters are used to display colours, and when --cronjob is
> used RKH supresses the colouring. However, when --versioncheck/--update
> is run, on its own, via cron, RKH does not know that it should stop the
> colouring.
>
> I'm going to add this as a FAQ question because it is a tricky situation
> (in cron --versioncheck/--update uses colours, --cronjob does not), and
> one that I suspect will come up every so often.

Well actually I run the script that I found years ago on the web (in the FAQ?)
It is as follows:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]# cat scripts/rkhscript.sh
#!/bin/sh
(
/usr/local/bin/rkhunter --versioncheck
/usr/local/bin/rkhunter --update
/usr/local/bin/rkhunter --cronjob --report-warnings-only
) | /bin/mail -s 'rkhunter Daily Run' root
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]#

I presume I need to add the argument "--nocolors" to the versioncheck line?
I'm going to try this for tonight's run... Thanks

> > 2) Deleted files:
> >
> > Warning: The following processes are using deleted files:
> >          Process: /bin/bash    PID: 4037    File: /dev/pts/0
> >          Process: /bin/mail    PID: 13513    File: /tmp/Rsw5uchv
> >
> In the first line, the process 4037 is running the /bin/bash command and
> is using the file /dev/pts/0 for some purpose. However, that file does
> not exist. In the second line, /bin/mail is using the
> file /tmp/Rsw5uchv, but that file does not exist either.
>
> What to do is difficult to say since it depends on the process involved.
> However, it generally implies that something has gone wrong. At work I
> currently have a web server which shows the web process running with it
> using 2 deleted files. These files are the (Apache) web log files
> access_log and error_log. The files should have been created when the
> service was restarted, but for some reason they were not. The solution
> in my case is to stop and start the web process, so that it creates the
> files it needs. In your case I would suggest seeing who is running these
> processes and what they are doing. The 'mail' command I would suspect is
> transient, so it may be that a user was doing something odd but that
> they have now closed the mail command. Hence if you run RKH again it may
> not show any warnings.

Well, process 4037 seems to be "/bin/sh /etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon" and that
hasn't changed since I installed v1.3.0. Any ideas? (Mind you, I don't think
I've rebooted the machine since then. - I'll try that too...)
As for the mail process - that PID changes every day. Maybe a reboot will sort
that out as well. I'll keep you posted.

> > 3) Not really a RKH question - this is actually a clamav / clamassassin
> > question but I thought I would ask here in case anyone knows... Suspscan
> > finds
> > a bunch of these files in /tmp They all date back to 12 October on which day
> > my spamassassin and clamassassin processing crashed due to an (unrelated)
> > network problem. I guess they are real virus emails which were only
> > partially
> > processed. My question: I know I could whitelist them in rkhunter.conf but I
> > presume it would be safe to delete them?
> > Warning: File '/tmp/clamassassinmsg.Rwmej24697' (score: 261) contains some
> > suspicious content and should be checked.
> >
> I don't use clamav/clamassassin so can't really answer about that.

OK - I'll just delete those entries..

> > Warning: Suspicious files found in /dev:
> >          /dev/shm/suspscan.16568.strings: ASCII English text
> >
> > Why does RKH trigger its own suspect file warning? Should these be
> > whitelisted
> > or deleted?
> >
> They should be deleted. This is a bug, fixed in CVS. Unfortunately the
> suspscan process creates a temporary file in /dev/shm, but doesn't
> remove it. Hence subsequent runs of RKH may treat the file as
> suspicious. If you want to use the suspscan check regularly, then I
> would suggest getting a copy of the CVS version. Alternatively, just
> remember to delete any 'suspscan' files in /dev/shm on a regular basis.

Ahh... OK No problem. I've just added a "rm /dev/suspscan.*" line to my
rkhunter cron script (but haven't tested it yet). Are you planning a v1.3.1
release any time soon?

Thanks again!

AD