On Dec 6, 3:12 pm, issacnewton <atisunda...@gmail.com> wrote:
> thanks emil.
>
> i was able to change the base memory and i set up the system to start
> in sage shell. i get to the sage prompt after typing ./sage but i
> can't do
> any math stuff there. i get the following error.
>
> WARNING! This shell install was built on a machine that supports
> instructions that are not
> available on this computer. Sage will likely fail with ILLEGAL
> INSTRUCTIONS errors!
> The following processor flags were on the build machine but are not
> on  this computer.
>
> ssse3
>
> So whats happening here ? help me
> also for this mailing list , can I set up the options so that I get
> the email notices for the
> replies to the threads started by me only ?

Hmm -  this means that you have an older and lower spec processor in
your box, which don't has a special instruction set (ssse3).
Normally Virtualbox simulates all the hardware, but processor
properties are mostly directly mapped to the virtual machine (this has
to do with gaining good speed).

Sage also tries to use the hardware to the fullest possible, so if
sage is compiled from source some parts of it (e.g. low level linear
Algebra libraries like ATLAS) are optimized for the processor
capabilities.
Now it seems that the current virtual image was created on a higher
spec machine which had the ssse3 instruction set.
Bottom line: the binaries in the VM use some instructions which can
not be provided by the host processor.

Now I think there are 2 possible solutions:
a) It is possible to recompile the problematic libraries.

 1) In the VM window stop the running server (I think Ctrl-C should do
it).
 2) change to the sage root directory:
     [sage@localhost directory]$ cd
     [sage@localhost ~]$ cd sage
     [sage@localhost sage]$

  3) delete the offending packages
  [sage@localhost sage]$ rm spkg/installed/mpir* spkg/installed/atlas*
  [sage@localhost sage]$ make

 This is from Chapter 7. of the Sage FAQ:
 http://wiki.sagemath.org/faq

Now the mpr and ATLAS package should be rebuild rightly with your
processor instruction set.

b) Use an VM image which was made for lower specs:
Maybe you try http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/emil/VM/sage-lite-vm-a1.ova
(412 MB download)
Difference: change Network settings to "Bridged Adapter"
Or - if you don't mind to help me with some 'cutting edge' testing,
you could try this integrated Windows Exe installer (650 MB)
http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/emil/doc/html/en/Windows_Installer.html
It should be mostly clicking on the default values, when it asks to
install VirtualBox then just click "Cancel" since you have this
already installed.

sorry you have inconveniences and I hope this fixes it.
kind regards
emil