On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, Paul Pomes (QualComm) wrote:

> I've been researching smart cards for three weeks and the roles of the
> interlocking standards (ISO-7816, Open Card, PC/SC, PKCS #7, #11, etc)
> are finally becoming clear.  Please excuse me if this has already been
> hashed to death, however smart cards interfaced through PC/SC look to be
> a good match for IPsec as a relatively secure certificate storage medium.
> Has any work been done in this area yet?  Thanks.
>
> /pbp

Hello,

  I don't know of any direct work with IPsec and smartcards under Linux as
of yet.  Entrust Technologies (http://www.entrust.com) publically offers
toolkits dealing with IPsec for Solaris and other operating systems off
their developer's network ( free for download ).  I'm assuming Linux
support should be coming soon from Entrust.  In the meantime, I suppose
one could use PC/SC compiled under Solaris with the Entrust toolkit for
doing this fairly quickly.  There is some interesting work being done at
University of Michigan allowing one to mount a smartcard as an AFS under
Unix - this provides an easy way of offloading certificates from a secure
storage medium such as the smartcard.  PC/SC for Unix is migrating to more
final forms and will be coming in Pre Beta releases in about 2-3 weeks
upon finishing of CORBA for remote autentication.  Anyone else doing
research with IPsec/smartcards ?

Thanks,

Dave