On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, Paul Pomes wrote:

> I've been researching smart cards for three weeks and the roles of the
> interlocking standards (ISO-7816, Open Card, PC/SC, PKCS #7, #11, etc)
> are finally becoming clear.  Please excuse me if this has already been
> hashed to death, however smart cards interfaced through PC/SC look to be
> a good match for IPsec as a relatively secure certificate storage medium.
> Has any work been done in this area yet?  Thanks.

We haven't yet done any smart card work at all, but we've done a little
product research.  There doesn't seem to be too much out there as
off-the-shelf products.  At this stage, smartcard/PKI vendors
(or third-party integrators such as my group) are dealing with the issue
on a case-by-case basis.  Look at Entrust.  I seem to recall that they are
offering

I would be interested to know if anyone has done this integration with
smart cards and Linux IPSec.  I'd be surprised if anyone did, as both
technologies are relatively new to Linux.  There is the Free S/WAN IPSec
implementation available, and also IPSec vendor Red Creek offers a PCI
card that does all the encryption _and_ IPSec protocol on-board.  (It
looks like a normal ethernet card to the system.)  According to their
firmware engineer, they use Linux as their development platform, so you
can be assured that their Linux driver is a good as (if not better) than
the NT drivers.

I've yet to get one of these puppies in the lab.

--Jeremy

Jeremy Impson
Network Engineer
Advanced Technologies Department