Markus (or perhaps someone else),
Can you please give a hint, why with my query

----
{{#ask: [[Category:News]] |
?Date|
sort=Date|
order=descending|
limit=3|
format=template|
template=newsrow|
default=There was no news|
searchlabel=Browse all news...|
}}
----
In the SMWSQLStore::createSQLQuery()
$description is NEVER an instance of SMWSomeProperty, so it doesn't
even have a chance to set $this->m_sortfield :-(

I've either tried ?Date=*|
?Date=+|
but no luck..

So, when it gets to the
in SMW_SQLStore.php, where's the following code:
----
                if ( $smwgQSortingSupport ) {
                        $order = $query->ascending ? 'ASC' : 'DESC';
                        if ( ($this->m_sortfield == false) && ($this->m_sortkey
== false) ) {
                                $sql_options['ORDER BY'] =
"$pagetable.page_title $order "; // default
                        } elseif ($this->m_sortfield != false) {
                                $sql_options['ORDER BY'] = $this->m_sortfield .
" $order ";
                        } // else: sortkey given but not found: do not sort
                }
----

my case is always "sortkey given but not found: do not sort" ?

My Property:Date does exists and correctly defined, and it has the
lists of pages that use this property.
Dmitriy