Hi all,

So, great to know there are knowledgeable people on Vesta in the mailing
list. My question is the following: I have a cubic structure, a perovskite.
I have a [sqrt(2) x sqrt(2)] cell of this structure, with relaxed positions
with rotated oxygen octahedra in the x-y plane only, out of which I would
like to create a [2 x 2] cell. I actually managed to do it (using a xsf file
that i created from the xyz output), but in a way which I would not call the
most elegant. It is also a way that is more prone to errors, than I wish it
were.

The problem is, when one loads an xsf file with the coordinates in Vesta, it
displays a structure with more atoms than the unit cell actually does, and
apparently it is the equivalent of XCrysDen's conventional cell mode.
However, one can choose, in XCrysDen, to display only the translational
asymmetric unit. This is one thing I don't know how to do in Vesta. For a
matter of convenience (laziness, actually :) ), I have set both PRIMVEC and
CONVVEC to the cubic lattice vectors, in the xsf file.

Although I have managed to create a [2 x 2] cell, starting from the [sqrt(2)
x sqrt(2)] using a transformation matrix (easy to deduce), I have to
eliminate some atoms by setting boundaries to the fractional coordinates and
checking that the number of atoms is actually the expected number. In the
case of a [2 x 2] cell, of course, we have 4 times as many atoms as in the
[1 x 1] cell. However, I would be more reassured if there were an automatic
way to guarantee that the correct number of atoms would be output, instead
of having to make somewhat extensive checks to ensure this.

Another doubt is about symmetrization of atomic coordinates. If I choose a
space group for Vesta to symmetrize the atoms' coordinates, it ends up
creating extra atoms which I can't seem to eliminate - at least i don't know
the correct way to do it. I have tried the option "remove duplicate atoms",
but it didn't work. Has anyone run into such problems?

If things are not clear, I'll be glad to provide an xsf file to illustrate
the issues.

Best regards,

Marcos

Responder a