Dear Neville,

Reagent grade should refer only to the purity, rather than
concentration. In other words, even though it's not "pure" inasmuch as
there's a lot of water, the levels of contaminants *other than* water
would be very low.

Look in a chemical supply catalog and you'll see a bunch of different
grades for things, each of which is uniquely specified for each type of
material, depending on how hard it is to make it pure and what kind of
process it's to be used for.

It would be un-economical, but you could probably get 3% reagent grade,
for instance. But given the expense, most users would buy more
concentrated versions and dilute it themselves.

Without looking at a chemical supply catalog, I would bet that
something like 35% reagent grade would be one of the more popular
offerings... concentrated enough to be worth the expense of processing,
packaging and shipping for the customer, yet not concentrated enough to
be unstable or suffer a shortened shelf life.

I hope that'll clear things up a little! <grin>

Be well,

Mike D.