You don't have to worry about it, it is left behind when you do the distillation.

Marshall

On 1/10/2011 11:33 AM, h.godavari wrote:

I am afraid you do get some of that Sodium remaining in the water. I am not sure how to get rid of it altogether. May be there is a chemist around who can step in :-)

regards
hg

PT Ferrance wrote:
Thanks, it does help. One more question. If one uses this to precipitate out the calcium, does one get water that is high in sodium chloride? This would create a whole other problem... and perhaps a more serious one for someone trying to control their salt.
Thanks again.
PT

*From:* h.godavari <h.godav...@shaw.ca>
*To:* silver-list@eskimo.com
*Sent:* Mon, January 10, 2011 10:16:58 AM
*Subject:* Re: CS>Precipitating calcium before distillation

I think it was a typing error - a matter of mind racing ahead of the fingers :-) - Calcium carbonate is insoluble in water its what sea-shells are made of.

Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and sodium carbonate (washing soda) are both highly soluble in water When you heat baking soda above 70 c , it looses on e carbon dioxide (NaHCO3 -> Na2CO3) , ignore stoichiometry for now, and it becomes washing soda.

When you add this to water containing Calcium (probably Calcium Chloride) they swap parts and the resulting Calcium carbonate precipitates out of solution and you get de-calcified water.

Sodium Carbonate + Calcium Chloride ->Sodium Chloride + Calcium Carbonate

hope that helps.

regards
hg

PT Ferrance wrote:
I'm confused. Daddy Bob said he uses calcium carbonate to precipitate out calcium and then said we could make our own by baking sodium bicarbonate. Am I missing something here?
Thanks.
PT