From: Wayne Fugitt
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 12:34:48

  > Evening Mike,

  > At 09:54 PM 10/14/2004, you wrote:

  >> Anything that  gives 20uS or more with a calibrated  Hanna should
  >> be ok.

  > Can you tell us the exact model number of the Hanna Meter?  I have
  > an EC meter I use for nutrient solutions.

  > For CS, I rather use the same model that everyone else uses. Plus,
  > I hope the Hanna is not as much trouble to calibrate as the  one I
  > use.

  > Wayne

  Hi Wayne,

  The tester most people recommend for cs is the Hanna Model  HI 98308
  PWT, shown here:

    http://www.hannainst.com/products/testers/pwt.htm

  Here is the operating manual:

    http://www.hannainst.com/downloads/instr/hi98308.pdf

  It is  available at various prices from about US$51.75  to US$64.00.
  However, Trem  at  Silvergen is the west coast  distributor,  and he
  includes a  bottle  of calibration solution. Trem  is  very familiar
  with using the Hanna to measure cs:

    http://www.silvergen.com/ppm_meter.htm

  Correction Factors
  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  You will  see various correction factors ranging from 1.2:1  to 2:1.
  They are all wrong. Here is 2:1 and 1.7:1

    "Has a  digital readout that reads from 0.1 to  99.9  yS/CM. Which
    translates to  aproximately  0.005 ppm to 49.95  ppm.  The digital
    reading is  divided  by two as a simple  method  to  interpret the
    reading into  approximate PPM of the tested solution,  this allows
    for 1  -2 PPm already present at start. The more  accurate approch
    is to  note PPM in water at start, divide the finished  product by
    1.7 and  subtract  the initial PPM that  was  present.  Comes with
    manufacturer 1  year warranty. Our tests show a level  of accuracy
    compared to  mineral digestion tests done at an  EPA  FDA approved
    lab of  approximately 1-3 ppm variance. Most tests  match closely.
    Comes with Calibration solution."

    http://www.wishgranted.com/ec_store/item12.htm

  Here is 1.2:1

    "A standard  conversion  factor  used by  many  producers  is 1.2;
    however, this  number will not be entirely  accurate,  and depends
    upon many  variables  that  cannot  be  easily  isolated.  The 1.2
    specification applies  to  Silvergen  Colloidal  Silver Generators
    specifically, and was developed by comparing a laboratory analysis
    (total silver  content  measured in PPM)  with  readings  from the
    Hanna PWT  meter.  Silvergen  colloidal  silver  is  80-85% ionic,
    15%-20% particulate."

    http://www.silvermedicine.org/colloidal-silver-ppm.html

  What you really want is the ionic content - the  particulate content
  consists of  various oxides which are inert and  have  no biological
  activity. Contrary  to  common   myth,   there  are  no  pure silver
  particles in  cs.  There   is   no   way  to  generate  them through
  electrolysis. So you can disregard the particulate portion.

  I researched the relation between conductivity in  microsiemens read
  on the  Hanna  and the ionic content in  ppm.  Compiling information
  from various  sources,  I  found that 1 uS =  1  ppm.  I  posted the
  results here some time ago but don't have the url handy.

  Note the uS readings may be affected if the cs is contaminated or if
  various substances  like H2O2 or baking soda  are  added. Accidental
  contamination could  be  from   bleach,   vinegar,  etc.  used while
  cleaning. The salt test is a simple way to verify the ppm.

Mike Monett