At 10:23 PM 10/16/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>Evening Ode,
>
>You made a lot of interesting points about instrumentation.
>
>  >>But using conductivity to get PPM isn't exactly a valid way to do these
>>things anyhow.
>
>    Seems this point has been made before, by you and others.
>
>>  It's just better than not being able to afford to do it right.
>
>    Without a federal grant, it is not economically feasible for most of us
>to implement this instrumentation, is that what you are saying?

##  A colorometer aka colorphotospectrometer is probably the next best
thing to an Atomic Absorption spectrometer starting at around $5,000. Used
obsolete ones can be had for a lot less.
 I bought a used AA spec for $100 + $100 shipping and another couple of
hundred for missing and silver specific parts and still don't know how to
operate it. It's about the size of a small steamer trunk and some of them
are as big as a refrigerator...a big refrigerator.

 It ain't a matter of 'dip and read' by any means.

 Some labs use a titration method and the results are all over the
place...even worse than a PWT. [much worse?]

>>  It's better to do the job relatively badly than not at all, I suppose.
>
>    Only one small question.
>
>    Are there any steps between this low cost, ineffective attempt and the
>high dollar lab methods?
>
>    No matter how hard anyone tries, EC and ppm are not the same, and it is
>only a simulation. In some cases, it is not even that when dealing with
>nutrients.
>
>    We have had this same discussion thousands of time relative to plant
>nutrients.
##  In CS, a PPM meter reading should be doubled [more or less] and taken
'as is' in a saline solution.
 Tell ya something?

>    Some people bet the crop on EC. While  EC is important, I prefer to
>calculate the ppm based on weight of nutrients added to a specific volume
>of water.  With recirculating systems, it will be changed in 24 hours anyway.
>
>   With a drip and drain to waste, a constant ppm can be
>maintained.   Seems the environment people think we will destroy the earth
>by wasting a nutrient solution so weak that my dog drinks it.
>And I have too.  It tastes lightly salty.  Dogs seem to like salty foods
>almost as much as humans.
>
>   Possibly the rain is as bad on the earth as a well balanced nutrient
>solution.  When every grass, weed, and tree, grows like crazy from the
>waste solution, how can it be so bad?
###  Depending on how much lightning was in that rain cloud, the amounts of
nitric acid varies...along with whatever the acid reacts with on it's way
out of the sky?
 I woudn't worry about weak nutrients too much. I hear that weed killers
decompose into female hormone analogs and there are an awful lot of sterile
hermaphroditic alligators in the Everglades now-a-days.

Ode