Re: CS>Hanna Meter Model Number
From: Ode Coyote
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 04:08:09
http://escribe.com/health/thesilverlist/m74024.html

  > HI 98308 PWT [Pure Water Tester]

  > When calibrating,  store  the meter and  solution  together  for a
  > while so both solution and the meter are the same temperature.

  > Don't hold  the  solution container tightly in  your  hand because
  > heat soak from your hand will toss everything out the window.

  > The temp  compensation  doesn't   work   the  way  you'd  think it
  > would...and Hanna ain't talking.

  > The PWT is the best of the sorta bad.

  > I have  2 PWTs calibrated the same and they don't agree  with each
  > other anywhere on the scale except in the calibration solution.

  > None are very 'good'.

  > Maybe the  $$$$$ bench top lab instruments are  better..maybe not.
  > But using conductivity to get PPM isn't exactly a valid way  to do
  > these things anyhow.

  > It's just better than not being able to afford to do it right.

  > It's better  to  do the job relatively badly than  not  at  all, I
  > suppose.

  > Ode

  Ken, thanks   for   the   good   info,   especially   on controlling
  temperature!

  As far  as  getting two units to agree, the spec  is  +/-2%  of full
  scale. This  means  +/-2ppm, which means one unit could  read  4 ppm
  higher or  lower  than another and they would still  be  in  spec. A
  slight difference in temperature would increase the discrepancy.

  The problem is the units are design for higher conductivity  than we
  typically get  in cs, so our readings are at the bottom  20%  of the
  range. This  is  the least accurate portion. Here's  the  specs from
  Hanna's site:

    Range               : 0.1 to 99.9 uS/cm
    Resolution          : 0.1 uS/cm
    Accuracy (@20C/68F) : +/-2% Full Scale

    http://www.hannainst.com/products/testers/pwt.htm

  Although individual units may differ by more than we would like, one
  would hope they would be consistent and repeatable. As far as  I can
  determine from searching the archives, most people seem to  feel the
  units are  repeatable.  I  know  you  have  posted  seeing different
  results, but it is not clear what caused them.

  So assuming  the units give consistent readings  (with  special care
  regarding temperature),  they can be useful to determine  if  the cs
  process is  repeatable, and what changes can be made to  improve it.
  For example,  the quality of the dw is very important,  and  poor dw
  will give poor cs.

  Also, the  Faraday calculations can help by showing the  maximum ppm
  available with  a given current and brew time, and the Hanna  can be
  used to  verify the results. I posted a method  earlier  using Roger
  Schlafly's Mercury program that makes these calculations very easy.

  As far  as designing a conductance meter to give higher  accuracy, I
  would tend  to  go with much larger plate area to  capture  a larger
  portion of  the solution. This would reduce the tendency  to respond
  to local variations in concentration of silver ions.

  I posted  the results of two experiments a while back that  made the
  silver and hydroxyl ions visible so you could see how they dispersed
  through the solution. It was very clear that the ions move mainly by
  convection currents,  so there were miniature  clouds  and filaments
  where the concentration was much higher, as well as voids.

  So if  the  small  Hanna  probe  encountered  a  local  variation in
  concentration, the  readings could be quite different.  Your comment
  to store the meter and the solution together for a while  would help
  by allowing time for the ion concentrations to stabilize.

  Yes, making  good quality cs is not easy, and making high ppm  cs is
  much harder.  But  I  am convinced it is worth  the  effort,  by the
  dramatic difference  it had on the Shingles virus,  cold  sores, and
  bacteria. And  you  know when you have the good stuff  -  your teeth
  feel raspy after you hold it in your mouth for a while.

  So I go for the good stuff:)

Best Wishes,

Mike Monett