If you are distilling your own water for making CS you do not want to use the charcoal post-filter. I know this is applicable to the Love unit, and probably would apply to any other type of still. The post-filter adds too much stuff to the DW making it not pure enough to make CS with. The post-filter probably improves the taste of the DW for drinking though, and my understanding is that is the sole purpose of it. I guess I was lucky with my Love distiller. But mine sure does not have any pre-filter. Which model did you try? The only pre-filtering here is what I do to the water at the faucet before I fill the still.
sol

Nenah Sylver wrote:

I'm looking for a distiller that is lined with only stainless steel and not
aluminum, and which runs the water through filters twice -- once before the
water is boiled, and then after it's boiled.

The Love distiller does this, but I had a horrible experience with the seller,
who was rude and lied to me -- and then UPS broke it in transit. So I sent it
back and now I'm looking for a good distiller.