> Thanks for elaborating, Sol. I'm still puzzled by how filtering water
> could cause MORE particulates to get into it, when the definition of
> filtering is to REMOVE contaminants.

It takes ions to make conductivity, Nenah. It's just that the charcoal
contributes its own contamination to the water.

Folks found that out about filtering their CS with even the cleanest
coffee filters. They were adding far more contamination than they were
removing!

> Also...my understanding of the post-filter is that it's a very good
> thing to use to get rid of solvents like benzene, which cannot be
> eliminated during the first filtering and which, even with a second
> (post) filtering, are only partly eliminated.

Won't a really good charcoal filter take out benzene before you
distill? I'm thinking good quality pressed block carbon filters and
their ilk.

I wonder if it might not be a bad idea to boil the water for a few
minutes to drive off those volitiles before putting it in the
distiller. Either that or discard the first few ounces that come out?

Hope that helps.

Mike D.