The measure of DW "purity" most of us use to determine whether it is pure enough to make CS is conductance (uS). DW that has too high a conductance reading will make yellow CS (with large particles?), and depending on what the conductance comes from (as in salts maybe) the CS could be silver compounds instead of the ionic silver most of us hope we are making. If I understand the process correctly.

The mfr of the Love distiller specifically told me not to use the post filter (the charcoal filter you put in the cap the water drips through into the collection bottle) for that reason, it would add particulates etc, to the water, raising the uS too high for making CS.

I think I tossed out the filters that came with my unit, but if I didn't and can find them I'll run a test, measuring unfiltered finished DW with filtered. I do have some charcoal filters that came with a pet drinking fountain, but don't know if those are similar enough to be an accurate test. When I tested DW run through those a couple years ago, the increase in conductance was rather spectacular. From .3uS of the DW before going through the filter to around 50uS after filtering, if memory serves. No idea if the charcoal filters to the Love distiller would increase the conductance that much, without having one to test.

sol

Nenah Sylver wrote:

Sol,
I am puzzled by your statement that "the post-filter adds too much stuff to the
DW making it not pure enough to make CS with," because in my lingo filtering
REMOVES contaminants from the water. Did you mean to say something else?

On the other hand, if what you said is what you meant, could you please explain
how the post-filtering would add undesirable elements to the distilled water?

Many thanks. I am really looking for clarity on this because I'd like to buy a
distiller soon.

Blessings,
Nenah