Luckily I have no back problems, but I recently purchased from Costco their own brand of urethane mattress overlay. It was about 1/5 the price of the famous brand, and seems of similar quality. (The dollar price is about $90 I think.)

The first day after using it, I woke up and it seemed that every vertebrate in my back pleasingly cracked when I stood up.

Surprised? Yes. I felt very good. My spine is definitely more flexible. I sleep better and my posture is improved. It is worth a try for those who have back problems.