Cranking up the iterations won't help because the particles already overlap on
emission (before any sim takes place). For some reason in Eugens (rare?)case
the Bullet engine refuses to compute inter-particle penetration (but collision
with other objects works) until the magic 4000 particles count is reached.

I'll try to send that other scene with the instanced model crash problem of
mine later today...

Try tweaking the precision value if you strictly don't want any particles to
touch one another. A quick prove: something like 1000 should fix the
penetration problem; but of course resulting in an extreme slowdown in
performance.

And no out burst at frames when running that simulation.

Cheers.
Chris