From: softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com
[mailto:softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com] On Behalf Of Matt Lind
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2012 6:26 PM
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
Subject: RE: In case you missed it..

I agree.

I don't know about anybody else, but I could care less about demo reels.  The
only time I see them is when I'm at a user group or waiting for a product
demonstration to begin, and since there are no more user groups and product
demos are basically web downloads, where do I see demos today?  Mostly as
screen savers at siggraph when the demo guy is taking a lunch break.  I don't
hang around those booths because I visit booths to talk to people and ask
questions.

Demo reels are important for students and people new to the industry as a
whole, but I think they're irrelevant for people who have been in the industry
a while because they become jaded like me from having seen it all before.  We
need something more that currently isn't being delivered.

As a more experienced and mature demographic, what I want is information.  I
want to see benefit in black and white.  I want to determine if I can truly
work smarter, not harder, compared to what I'm doing now.  I think this aspect
of Softimage marketing has been absent for the past 10 years.  The exception
being the debut of ICE with v7.0.  Prior to that the last time I saw something
informative that made me pay attention was the animation mixer and perhaps
GATOR.  However, even in those cases the demos weren't very informative, they
were more eye candy pieces.

What I seek is a short synopsis like a movie trailer (length) that is
information driven.  If it catches my interest, let me watch something more
in-depth to get the answers to my questions.  These don't have to be high-tech
demonstrations, just clearly *informative and comprehensive* relative to what's
being marketed.  Stay way from glossy buzz words and trendy catch phrases.
Focus more on the information's value to educate the target audience.

I used to demo Softimage in my locale when Softimage didn't have the budget to
send somebody out from Montreal.  I am information driven, and was always told
by attendees that they felt my demos were the most helpful to make decisions.
I don't know if sales improved or not as I didn't have access to that
information, but the feedback I received from all demos were pretty consistent.
 I think people are starved for facts as they don't want to have to wade
through all the BS to get the info they seek, and in many cases, some people
are making decisions to expand a company or switch a pipeline and aren't fully
informed themselves what they are looking for because perhaps they're striving
for something a bit outside of their comfort zone or level of experience.
Informative demos help them, and a good informative demo will entice a customer
to follow up.

Matt