Absolutely any student can go to the education portal and download it for free
for 3 years. And the product we sell to education institutions is this one:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=13395078
It is true that the fact that students can access any Autodesk product for free
for 3 years is only just starting to get out there

Sent from my iPad

On 2012-09-13, at 7:00 PM, "Tim Leydecker"
<bauero...@gmx.de<mailto:bauero...@gmx.de>> wrote:

Hi Maurice,

isn´t Softimage available as part of those affordable student license packages?

Afaik, it´s pretty easy nowadays to get legal access to Autodesk software for
education
if you´re a student but I´m not sure everybody actually knows how easy it is to
get at that?

At least for a student, the times are better than they where 10 years ago.

For me myself, I am glad to soon have Houdini (up to 1920px) and Blender at my
fingertips
for those bits of smoke I need or can arse myself into doing actually but I
don´t expect
AD to clone SideFX´s learning/access model any time soon, even if I now have
decided to
skip my subscription beyond 2012 releases and to wait for an "all inclusive
suite" package
update promo to get back up to date next year when I can better say what I´ll
actually need
and bring may Maya/Max/Softimage/Mudbox/Motionbuilder pack back into 2013,
along with a nice
render engine or two maybe...

---

In terms of suites in general, I was very happy to get a Max/Softimage bundle
including Mudbox and Motionbuilder.

That gave me the option to extend to Max, while having Maya (as well here) for
my gross of income and Softimage
for my personal favourite tool.

Admittedly, I didn´t really use Max much in the end and am currently more or
less completely loaded with getting
(back) into ZBrush and all sorts of other stuff related to modeling, lighting,
shading and rendering but the
real bonus I´m still seing is what the suite bundle gave me access to.

I could have also ended up using FumeFX and Max mostly or ICE, the options
where there. You just can´t do everyting well.

Personally, the suite gave me the freedom to lean to one side, even roll over
and take half a year off and
just do whatever I feel like getting better at doing it.

Softimage is a very good base for that, regardless of the 10+ years of Maya I
could show off with.

---

Long story short, I am glad there´s the suites and I hope for a catch all promo
but
I dislike SAP benefit marketing pushing, late subscription fees or
Maya/Softimage sp1/sap/sap_sp1/..
version horrors. That really, really doesn´t help stability, especially when
working remote and
with mixed levels of technically savy people (like producers).

I like vanilla or mint condition... doesn´t need to be the latest and greatest
but solid.

The 2012´s did that nicely. I´ll have to wait for CrowdFX...

Cheers,

tim