We run Softimage In linux (centos 6) here, and we have discovered that Tiff
files with a certain compression make it crash instantly. I don't remember
which one it is as we use exr most of the time but once in a while we
receive an image from a client in tiff and it crashes everything so we have
to convert it to another compression/format.