>also, i believe a .tx format is actually a tif or exr format underneath. the
>extension is really just to say to the user
>this has been processed by the maketx utility.
Just try to add a .tif to the file and you know :-)
Or you can open the file in a text editor and see that the file starts with the
tif magic id  II.

> unfortunately many apps have not implemented the full API of Tiff and support
> multiple channels.
I do not like .TIFF from the developer view. They made a file format which can
do a lot.
You could add anything, not only images. But digging into the format itself is
complex.
Not like .IFF, which can also do everything (even maya scene files are actually
the .IFF format).
MAC and PC save the format differently, RGB + CMYK + YCbCr + CIE Lab, 5
different compressions (lzw required a paid license),
prefilters..
TIFF has pages (I think the official paper has about 100 pages) for its
specification, IFF only 1-2 pages.
Therefore I can understand if not all features are implemented by every app.

.exr is a complete different story.
It just works because you have a complete loader/writer because it is open
source or you can download a compiled .dll.
You can not make any mistake.
Beside one, you can forget to implement the cropped region on load.
(Like Adobe!! Anyone would like to join to report it that they increase the
priority for that bug?)

Holger Schönberger
technical director
The day has 24 hours, if that does not suffice, I will take the night

  _____