You could try an ugly hack:

Export the outer shell to Zbrush and decimate it there.

It will most likely give you holes and errors here and there
but the overall shape may survive reasonably well even around
some 50K-100K polys. Manually polishing/merging/optimizing
here and there may improve the result.

Import back and add to hierarchy, however you like it setup.

I would budget a half day to make it work and inject it into
the rig, with lot´s of passes, you may need a day, doublechecking.

Cheers,

tim