A month back I got a really nice car model from a client, probably the best
car model I've ever seen. It was in 3ds Max format so I had to export to
fbx and import it in Softimage.
The first thing I always do is to remove the user normals from the whole
scene, otherwise the viewport performance makes it unworkable.
The car has 788 objects and 3.24 million polys, kind of a light/medium
production scene. Everything is static, not a singel keyframe in the scene.
Navigating the camera, at first the frame rate is terrible at around 9 fps
in shaded mode. I need to toggle back and forth between shaded and
wireframe and move the camera around in between and then suddenly I get 37
fps in shaded and I can work. I suppose it has then fully loaded the model
onto the graphics card, but to me it feels more like something isn't
working as it should, because it can never get the full 37 fps if I only
remain in shaded mode.
I'm using a Quadro 4000.

Softimage FPS:
37 wire