well i think you might need to use the os specific function for parenting,
otherwise we would have used the Qt method. if there is a Qt method for
parenting then i might handle the platform for us and make the code work on
both operating systems. but i think you will need to use the os specific
function call, which i linked to in the email.

you are correct about the plugin's design, use cpp to setup the application
and a dummy widget that you return to scripting. all subsequent widgets are
parented to (in python) using the return value.