ok i have verified myself that the hook/listener isn't needed. i removed
the code, compiled, ran the examples inside softimage and it all seems to
work fine. the code has been updated on github and the new package is moved
to my personal website.

https://github.com/caron/PyQtForSoftimage
http://www.steven-caron.com/downloads/tools/PyQtForSoftimage_beta5.xsiaddon

this should make it less confusing for you to port.