Even then, we are not computing the displacement between the first and the last frame only (which, of course, will lead to the wrongful observation that no displacement has taken place yielding zero velocity). In this case the displacement at the last frame will be calculated between the last and the second last frame.

I think what Steven is saying makes sense.