i know velocity is a delta and i have used it many a time as part of an
equation which is variable.

while your distinction is accurate i was concerned it wasn't helping
olivier with that example which illustrates no displacement. i just dont
think it was an intuitive example of velocity. in your example it would
mean you sat in the bleachers to watch the race but left right before it
starts and returned the moment it ends. so you say to your friend, "man
these guys haven't moved an inch!" and she looks at you weird...