> Trust me, I've dealt with investors & setting up a budget for a new company.
> If you can save $5k per seat by simply picking one package over another, it
> will get noticed.  I've been trying to get Autodesk to realize that for a
> long time.  New companies spring up all over the world every day, so why not
> sell them some Softimage licenses?

I think this scenario is absurd because it makes the case for saving 5000$
based on the assumption that startup studios would 1) want to use XSI
in any great numbers and 2) are considering shelling out for Nuke at 5000$
to do "some compositing" on those 3D seats, when it's the kind of
money you'd put in
a dedicated compositing seat.

Not do you toxik for free, you can get access to all Adobe apps
including Photoshop+AE
per seat for 70$/month.  Or just rent After Effects itself for 20$.

If you actually _needed_ nuke seats, I think you're probably doing a
whole lot of things
that wouldn't be present or well implemented in a "revamped" fxtree.
The FxTree  didn't
replace the much simpler Shake seats when shake was 10,000$ and XSI+FxTree was
just 3000$. A "revamped" FxTree probably wouldn't replace Nuke seats.

Screw logic and clone enough of nuke and give it away for free anyway?
I think there's
little reason to think that product could be any superior than Toxik.
They had a big and
experienced team work on that one for many years.  If Autodesk cared
about compositing,
revamping the Toxik UI would reach many more people.