Just thought I'd give you an update about this...

Mr MB had a look at our scenes and encountered the same problem with
reading the cache - the feather instances appeared on frame 1 but
disappeared on subsequent frames.

As there were some nested models under the main chicken model it was
thought that there was confusion with ICE recognising certain elements of
the setup... I ran a test by removing the nested models and there was no
change - still a problem reading the cache.  His suggestion was it was a
soft cache reading error as it was a little sporadic with the errors we
were getting.

After much faffing and eliminating every conceivable thing from the list of
things that could cause an issue we started over. Removed EVERYTHING other
than the meshes to be surfaced with feathers.  The feathers were remade and
then I reapplied the rig with saved out envelope weights.  So far so good.
Maybe the issue was with the initial build of the feather system?  No
answer but problem solved. Although the re-grooming of the feathers
obviously adds time, at least we have a setup that works including writing
the cache out from referenced animation models and applying it to
referenced render models.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Jonny