Thanks guys!

I also found the transform node to do what I need 5 minutes after sending the
mail. It wasn't obvious just from reading the description that you can use it to
simply get the transforms from any object, it sounded more like a converter
node.

BUT...here we go again:
1)
Why are there nodes in the documentation that I am absolutely unable to find
where I would need and expect them??
check this: GetObjectTransform node
https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/nodes/vop/getobjxform   (unable to find
anywhere, took the former mentioned transform node instead)
or this: RayHit https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/nodes/vop/rayhit  (seems
only to be available in shading contexts, tried with the intersect node instead
which didn't work, so I ended up using 'Ray' in a SOP)

2)
Just to know if I'm doing it right:
If I want to do a shrinkwrap or whatever one object to another, I would use a
merge node to get the target geo-information into the deformer-SOP? That works
for me, I just want to know if that's the common practice...

All in all Houdini is a lot of fun, but can be quite hard when you don't have
someone to ask the quick and simple stuff.
But at least I have you guys! Thanks for your patience :)

cheers,
Thomas

----