That sounds great... Thanks!

Olivier Jeannel <facialdel...@gmail.com> hat am 19. Mai 2017 um 11:39 geschrieben:

Press the "x" key with the mouse pointer above any sop node or above any vop node output.
It will add a "visualizer" node.
Lot's of possibility in there, I use it all the time.
More clunky than Ice unfortunatly   ...aaaand some display bugs ..of course.

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/basics/visualizers

If a node has a visualizer, you can use the settings on the Visualizers tab in the parameter editor. Enable/disable visualization at once. Click the Visualization ...

From: softimage-bounces@listproc.autodesk.com <softimage-bounces@listproc.autodesk.com> on behalf of Thomas Volkmann <li...@thomasvolkmann.com>
Sent: 19 May 2017 08:34:38
To: Official Softimage Users Mailing List. https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/xsi_list
Subject: Re: Houdini Basics....

I'll keep the normals issue in mind, thanks.

Anyway, is there a way of viewport debugging as in ICE (show properties)?  I'm using print to show the values in the console atm, but that doesn't work really when you need to see which point has what value...

Olivier Jeannel <facialdel...@gmail.com> hat am 19. Mai 2017 um 10:23 geschrieben:

the intersect node in VOP ?
If I remember correctly, beware of the length of your normals, they had to be long enough to "hit" the surface. ie don't normalize them.

Yeah, Houdini is deep, not always easy..

Thanks guys!

I also found the transform node to do what I need 5 minutes after sending the mail. It wasn't obvious just from reading the description that you can use it to simply get the transforms from any object, it sounded more like a converter node.

BUT...here we go again:
1)
Why are there nodes in the documentation that I am absolutely unable to find where I would need and expect them??
check this: GetObjectTransform node  (unable to find anywhere, took the former mentioned transform node instead)
or this: RayHit (seems only to be available in shading contexts, tried with the intersect node instead which didn't work, so I ended up using 'Ray' in a SOP)

2)
Just to know if I'm doing it right:
If I want to do a shrinkwrap or whatever one object to another, I would use a merge node to get the target geo-information into the deformer-SOP? That works for me, I just want to know if that's the common practice...

All in all Houdini is a lot of fun, but can be quite hard when you don't have someone to ask the quick and simple stuff.
But at least I have you guys! Thanks for your patience :)

cheers,
Thomas

Jordi Bares <jordiba...@gmail.com> hat am 18. Mai 2017 um 22:48 geschrieben:

You may be triggering an evaluation without realising.

I suspect the open GL glitch may not be it.

Try deleting lights and others elements than interact with your simulation as these, being visible may force a full re-evaluation.

Jb

Sent from my iPhone