: What should the next version of Solr be?

personally, the way the question is phrased bothers me -- it feels like
the cart leading the horse.

I think the better questions to ask are...

  Q1. should we actively try to upgrade to Lucene 3.x, or should we wait
for some demonstrated need/advantage (ie: new functionality, improved
performance)

  Q2. If/when Solr trunk is switched to use Lucene 3.x, what should the
subsequent Solr release be called? -- ie should a major version bump in
the Lucene dependency trigger a major version bump in the Solr version?

My opinions would be...

  A1. keep using 2.9.x until 3.x offers something that makes it worth
switching for (but we can always start removing usage of deprecated APIs
that don't require changign our own APIs)

  A2. when we do finally move to Lucene 3.0, it would probably make sense
to bump the Solr version number to 2.0 since we will likely be
changing/breaking a lot of plugin APIs in non trivial ways.  If we somehoe
manage it w/o breaking a lot of existing APIs, then i see no reason to
bump our major version number.

-Hoss