Just to toss in my two cents...

I'd have to agree with Hoss here. In terms of versioning, I see no reason that a major version bump in a dependency should cause a major version bump in Solr - unless said bump causes major changes. I haven't really looked at what's planned for Lucene 3.x yet, but if there are some major api breaking changes coming, then perhaps the next couple 1.x revisions should be taken to start cleaning up and preparing for a major version bump. So, I would agree that, unless there's a really compelling reason to switch to Lucene 3.x, it might be best let a little dust settle on 2.9.

-Colin