Building a single structure to be considered two separate, individual buildings
can be tough to do. The structure has to be such that either one can burn and
fall away without harming the other building. Every building system gets
involved and not just at the attachment point. For example, are there two
separate fire alarm systems? This structure is also L shaped, right? All the
required building separation distance rules come into play at the inside right
angle juncture. Any windows planned there? Are the exterior walls there up to
snuff? You might be required, or forced even, to handle that problem yourself.
Do the construction plans for this building not include a code sheet that
explicitly explains how the project is defined? It is the building code that
dictates how many buildings there are.