From: Rick Matsuda <rick26...@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 03, 2024 8:29 AM
To: Discussion list on issues relating to automatic fire sprinklers
<sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org>
Subject: [Sprinklerforum] Re: Standpipe Calculations

Here’s a thought which may be out way of line.

The 2-hour separation wall in the middle of the building was installed in lieu
of an additional stairway. So technically there would have been three stairways
and only three standpipes.

Does NFPA 14 allow you to install one standpipe by the separation and supply
two hose valves on each level, one on each side of the wall, instead of two
separate standpipes? If this is allowed then you’ll need to calculate only
1000-gpm.

During a fire condition, the fire department should be hooking up to only the
hose valve on the safe non-fire side.
Just my crazy opinion.
Rick Matsuda

On Apr 3, 2024, at 10:06 AM, Tstone52