On 5/1/2012 2:06 PM, peter korinis wrote:
Is SQLite the wrong tool for this project?

Probably.

SQLite is a data storage tool. With enough SQL cleverness, you can turn it into a data *reduction* tool. But a data analysis tool? No, not without marrying it to a real programming language.

Granted, that's what almost everyone does do with SQLite, but if you're going to learn a programming language, I'd recommend you learn R, a language and environment made for the sort of problem you find yourself stuck with. http://r-project.org/

There are several R GUIs out there. I like R Studio best: http://www.rstudio.org/

You'll still find R Studio a sharp shock compared to Excel. And yes, it will require some programming, and yes, I know you said you aren't a programmer. But in the rest of the thread, it looks like people have convinced you to use SQLite from the command line, typing in raw SQL commands; guess what, that's programming. Not on the level of R code, but R isn't far down the same slippery slope.

It may help you to know that R is most popular in the statistics community, which of course is populated by statisticians, not programmers.

R isn't the easiest programming language to pick up, but it's far from the hardest. It's very similar to JavaScript, though a bit tougher to learn, mostly due to having accumulated some strange syntax over its 36 years. (That's counting R's predecessor, S.)