Am Do 03 Mai 2012 15:35:46 CEST schrieb Warren Young:
On 5/1/2012 2:06 PM, peter korinis wrote:
Is SQLite the wrong tool for this project?

Probably.

SQLite is a data storage tool. With enough SQL cleverness, you can
turn it into a data *reduction* tool. But a data analysis tool? No,
not without marrying it to a real programming language.

Granted, that's what almost everyone does do with SQLite, but if
you're going to learn a programming language, I'd recommend you learn
R, a language and environment made for the sort of problem you find
yourself stuck with. http://r-project.org/

There are several R GUIs out there. I like R Studio best:
http://www.rstudio.org/

You'll still find R Studio a sharp shock compared to Excel. And yes,
it will require some programming, and yes, I know you said you aren't
a programmer. But in the rest of the thread, it looks like people have
convinced you to use SQLite from the command line, typing in raw SQL
commands; guess what, that's programming. Not on the level of R code,
but R isn't far down the same slippery slope.

It may help you to know that R is most popular in the statistics
community, which of course is populated by statisticians, not
programmers.

R isn't the easiest programming language to pick up, but it's far from
the hardest. It's very similar to JavaScript, though a bit tougher to
learn, mostly due to having accumulated some strange syntax over its
36 years. (That's counting R's predecessor, S.)

I don't think that the question is "R or sqlite?". As you already wrote sqlite is only a container for more or less structured data (I prefer more structure) and that is the job it really does well. If he only needs to aggregate data the functionality sqlite offers is enough. If more complex analysis is needed (graphical or not) the combination of R with sqlite (i.e. via RODBC) would do a superb job.