From: sqlite-users-boun...@sqlite.org
[mailto:sqlite-users-boun...@sqlite.org] On Behalf Of Simon Slavin
Sent: Friday, May 04, 2012 11:16 AM
To: General Discussion of SQLite Database
Subject: Re: [sqlite] is SQLite the right tool to analyze a 44GB file

On 4 May 2012, at 4:02pm, peter korinis <kori...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Sqlitespy looks good ... I will try it.
> website says download contains sqlite itself, which I already have -
> will there be a problem using ...spy with existing sqlite?

SQLite is not a single library which has to live somewhere on your computer.
It is C code which each programmer includes in their program.  You can have
twenty programs on your disk, each using a different version of SQLite,
without problems.

> I was trying to use sqlite3 CLI cmd ".import testfile.txt test_tbl;"
> to load a 999x46 comma-delimited file into a previously created empty
> table with 46 col. (if this works I will load two 22M row x 46 col csv
> files into that
> table.) does this cmd work this way or must I create INSERT statements
> to do
> 999 inserts (later 44M inserts)?

Semicolons are needed at the end of SQL commands.  You don't want them at
the end of commands which start with a dot.  Apart from that you have
something worth trying.  Why not make a tiny test case with three lines of
two columns before you get started with the 46-column monster ?

Simon.