From: sqlite-users-boun...@sqlite.org
[mailto:sqlite-users-boun...@sqlite.org] On Behalf Of Warren Young
Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2012 9:36 AM
To: General Discussion of SQLite Database
Subject: Re: [sqlite] is SQLite the right tool to analyze a 44GB file

On 5/1/2012 2:06 PM, peter korinis wrote:
> Is SQLite the wrong tool for this project?

Probably.

SQLite is a data storage tool.  With enough SQL cleverness, you can turn it
into a data *reduction* tool.  But a data analysis tool?  No, not without
marrying it to a real programming language.

Granted, that's what almost everyone does do with SQLite, but if you're
going to learn a programming language, I'd recommend you learn R, a language
and environment made for the sort of problem you find yourself stuck with.
http://r-project.org/

There are several R GUIs out there.  I like R Studio best:
http://www.rstudio.org/

You'll still find R Studio a sharp shock compared to Excel.  And yes, it
will require some programming, and yes, I know you said you aren't a
programmer.  But in the rest of the thread, it looks like people have
convinced you to use SQLite from the command line, typing in raw SQL
commands; guess what, that's programming.  Not on the level of R code, but R
isn't far down the same slippery slope.

It may help you to know that R is most popular in the statistics community,
which of course is populated by statisticians, not programmers.

R isn't the easiest programming language to pick up, but it's far from the
hardest.  It's very similar to JavaScript, though a bit tougher to learn,
mostly due to having accumulated some strange syntax over its 36 years.
(That's counting R's predecessor, S.)