On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 10:08 PM, David Empson <demp...@emptech.co.nz> wrote:

> > On 10/08/2016, at 3:30 PM, Rousselot, Richard A <Richard.A.Rousselot@
> centurylink.com> wrote:
> >
> > As I said, I am not a software engineer.  I could spend a few hours
> figuring this out and be fine but it will be painful for me.
> >
> > I see no downsides in a 64-bit CLI.  The last 32-bit Intel CPU was the
> PIII in 2004, no supported Windows OS requires 32-bit CPUs, the file size
> may be marginally bigger but who cares on a PC.  The 64-bit version will, I
> assume, happily work on DBs created in the 32-bit version.  And for those
> that need 32-bit for their applications and drivers still have access to
> the 32-bit DLL.  What am I missing?  Are windows command line tools 32-bit
> only?
>
> A 32-bit installation of Windows cannot run 64-bit executables (ignoring
> VM solutions).
>
> Because of the large installed base of 32-bit Windows, the Windows command
> line tools for SQLite needs to be available as 32-bit versions. If 64-bit
> versions were provided, they would need to be in addition to the 32-bit
> versions.
>
> There are an awful lot of 32-bit installations of Windows. This includes a
> lot of 32-bit installations of Windows on 64-bit processors, which exist
> for many reasons including defaults offered by the manufacturer, lack of
> 64-bit drivers, corporate policy decisions, reduced memory footprint in
> limited machines, or the user requiring 32-bit Windows in order to be able
> to run legacy 16-bit software (again, ignoring VM solutions).

If you're going that way; Android just pulled x86 support for their dev
tools.  Turns out noone in QA had a 32 bit computer; and when they posted a
message about it there wasn't a lot of 'no wait! I have x86!' actually not
one reply; just me saying 'ya, I can see most development machines are 64
bit; although; you shuold provide a patch now; but retooling the QA dept
for 10% of the market doesn't really make sense....
see their numbers aren't 90% 32 bit, but rather 90% 64 bit, so really it
shuld be the 64 bit that's provided,  and MAYBE the 32 bit in addition to
it.