On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 4:35 PM, Michael Falconer <
michael.j.falco...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Great discussion, if somewhat amusing (with a hint of deja vu) for an old
> hack like myself.
>
> I remember discussions like this back in CP/M days when it was a move rom 8
> to 16bit. Oh, and it all happened again when 32bit came along and yes now
> we are into 64bit and it carries on.

​A bit OT, but this entire thing is mildly amusing to me. I've worked on
the "obsolete" IBM mainframes for 30+ years. Originally 24 bit addressing;
then 31 bit (yeah, 31 not 32 - weird); now up to 64 bit. An guess what? The
programs that I wrote 30+ years ago in 24 bit still work correctly in
today's 31 ​and 64 bit systems as is without recompiling. Of course, the
programs don't use any of the new, fancy stuff. But they still work
correctly.

--
Klein bottle for rent -- inquire within.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown