Royce asked:-

>  Does anyone have any suggestions as to "etching"
> brass to get a good "tooth" to which the paint or primer could bond ?
> Some intricate parts don't lend themselves to mechanical abrading to
> achieve "tooth".

Acid bath?  Here in England I use a kettle descaler of  which the main
constituent is Formic Acid - you know, that stuff that killed all those
teenagers in the "giant ant" movies of the fifties and sixties.  Alternatively,
for small parts, putting them in a tumbler with a coarse abrasive powder give a
marvellous speckled matt finish which takes paint like a dream.  With both
methods you need to experiment first with something which doesn't matter to get
the right "dose".

It's probably too late for you to change now, but long ago I decided only to use
nickel silver for platework as it both solders and takes paint better than
brass.  I matt this with 400 grit wet'n'dry whilst it's still in the flat.

My two penny'th,

Mike Chaney