At 09:36 AM 9/18/04 -0600, you wrote:
>When I moved into my old house back east, the previous owner had left a
>box in the garage that at one time was a case of "Self-etching primer"

      I use a self-etching primer sold by Sherwin-Williams in their
professional automotive stores, the product is #GBP-988 Self-Etch
Automotive Primer.  It comes in a 12oz aerosol can and costs roughly $8.
      It is very stinky and carries any numer of dire health and
flammability warnings on it's label, meaning of course that it is very good
stuff!  I believe the "etchant" is phosphoric acid, the same thing
Coca-Cola puts in their drinks, . . . to etch your teeth and stomach
lining, but that's another story.
      In any case a very thin coat does the job on practically any metal.
Although it's not bullet-proof, and it is primarily intended for use on
steel, it does do a very good job of providing a tenacious base coat on
just about any metal.

Regards,
Harry