We are using DynaForms and rather than define the attributes within
struts-config, our approach to this problem was to create a PVO
(presentation view objects) class which is basically a mirror of the VO but
with the attributes defined as Strings.

The PVO is then defined as a property of a FormBean within the
struts-config.  Population between the VO and PVO is done via
BeanUtils.copyProperties.

By doing this, the size of the struts-config is reduced (probably not a big
deal) and we gain some flexibility in being able to do any needed formatting
within the PVO.  In addition, we quite often use these PVOs when we are
building lists that are not part of the form itself.  We can also "mix and
match" our PVOs within a FormBean which has proven helpful in a couple of
situations.

The biggest drawback (that we are aware of) is that we have to create
another class for each VO but this isn't much a hassle given the IDEs that
are available.