Hi Kevin,

Yes, I plan to use laser engraving and cutting. There is a local community maker workshop that charges $2 per minute of cutting time for using their machine with exactly the setup you describe - I choose line colours in my PDF depending on whether I will want the areas or line rastered, etched or cut, and then I configure the laser to fire at different powers for each colour. I've taken to writing my programs in Javascript - there's are code libraries for Javascript that allow drawing directly into PDF files.

I think I own some of your work - aren't you the KWK who produced Fred Sawyer's Universal Nomographic Sundial handed out at a recent NASS conference? The details in that piece are much finer than I have been able to achieve on the machine at the workshop. They have a measuring device that hangs loosely from the head of the machine. The train us to raise or lower the bed until the measuring device only just touches the work piece. To my mind that should bring the cone of laser light to a perfect point and allow very fine lines - but in practice I've never got a line to come out narrower than, I guess, about .5mm even at the lowest power setting of the machine. I have the line widths set to .1 mm in my PDFs.

I'm starting to suspect that the people who run the facility I use aren't very good at calibrating the machine. The guy in charge seems to think that it's working a well as can be expected but your work is much, much finer. The machine is one of these: http://fslaser.com/Product/Pro3624

I'd welcome your thoughts and advice about this.

Cheers,
Steve

On 2017-02-26 5:39 AM, Kevin Karney wrote:
Dear Steve

I do not know how you are planning to cut and fabricate your plastic sheeting. But if you have not looked, there are many many bi-colour double layered UV resistant acrylics used by the sign-writing industry. See, for example, https://www.engraving-supplies.co.uk/laser-materials/trolase.html. The advantage of these materials (or single colour acrylics) is that they can be either cut and engraved with great precision and minimal cost by laser-cutting. All you need is a good .pdf graphic made to appropriate specs for your laser-cutter. Typically, text - which is raster-engraved - will be one colour. While vector lines and curves will be lines of a certain thickness and of different colours (one colour for a cut, others for different depths of engraving).

One of the great advantages of the laser cut approach is that you can try endless designs cut/engraved on cardboard - costing virtually nothing, before committing to your more expensive final material.

Laser cutting is cheap these days and if you live anywhere near a big city, you may find that there is a 'FabLab', where you can go and do it yourself - see www.fablabs.io/labs/map <http://www.fablabs.io/labs/map>

Having started designing sundials by laser-cutting in Cardiff University's FabLab - I am now actually employed there part-time to teach others in laser-cutting. So I am happy to elucidate further if anyone is interested.

cheers
Kevin