> are these on a managed switch so you can see if there are any errors,
> short frames, overruns etc?

One of the offices has a semi-managed switch, on which, looking at the stats I
can't see anything obviously wrong. The other office just has an el-cheapo 5
port switch.

> do you have tcp hand-off, polling or other option enabled?

Hardware offloading is enabled. Polling is disabled.

The pfSense boxes in question are ALIX 2c0 boards, and the options (offloading
on, polling off) are the same as the settings on the 1.2-RELEASE boxes.

> MTU problems (unlikely)?

None that I can see.

I can try "upgrading" the pfSense box (same hardware) at my home to 1.2.2 this
weekend and see if I can introduce the same issue, if that's of any help
diagnosing the issue?

Regards,

Chris