On Fri 03. Nov - 14:57:10, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 04:08:20PM +0100, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> > > Escape (and f2) switches the splash screen to verbose. I sometimes
> > > probably
> > > would want to do that without aborting suspend.
> > >
> > > I'm not sure if the first escape (that switches bootsplash to verbose) is
> > > even passed on to the terminal, though. Would need to test that...
> >
> > OK
> >
> > Which key do you prefer?
>
> I don't know. Escape sounds pretty logical :-)
> Go ahead, i don't even know if this is an issue (Holger could probably test
> what happens to the escape that sends bootsplash into verbose mode, i'm not
> sure if this one is even propagated to userspace) and if it is, i could still
> either change the define for the SUSE package or
>
>     if (bootsplash.is_silent())
>       ignore_first_esc;
>
> something ugly like that.

Bootsplash only drops to verbose mode on escape and F2 as far as I can
see. At least the kernel has something like this:

---
#ifdef CONFIG_BOOTSPLASH
        /* This code has to be redone for some non-x86 platforms */
        if (down == 1 && (keycode == 0x3c || keycode == 0x01)) {        /* F2
and ESC on PC keyboard */
                extern int splash_verbose(void);
                printk(KERN_INFO "splash_verbose in keyboard.c 1\n");
                if (splash_verbose())
                        return;
        }
#endif
---

But I agree escape would be more senseable. So why is this an issue at
all?  Distribution which have bootsplash will have something like "press
escape to abort" in their bootsplash theme anyway. So I don't think that
the usual user likes to press the 'abort key' multiple times. If you like
to see what's going on, just disable splash in the config file. And if
something is going wrong during suspend, the escape key just drops
bootsplash to verbose mode and you'll hopefully see the failure messages
but then there's nothing to abort anymore anyway ;-)

Regards,
        Holger